Riverlane builds ground-breaking software to unleash the power of quantum computers. Backed by leading venture-capital funds and the University of Cambridge, we develop software that transforms quantum computers from experimental technology into commercial products.
You will join our cross-disciplinary team of software developers, mathematicians, quantum information theorists, computational chemists, and physicists – all world experts in their fields. Our collaborative, close-knit team has a track record of working on creative and innovative solutions across the full quantum stack. As a growing company, you will have the freedom to think independently and creatively, as well as contribute to Riverlane’s business development.
We offer a competitive salary, private medical insurance, health cash plan, life assurance, equity options, and relocation costs.
We review CVs as we receive them, and interview as soon as we have applications that look like a good match (usually within one week). We don’t use closing dates. So, please apply as soon as possible to avoid missing out on this role. We advertised this role on 2nd July 2021.
About the role
You will be the first designer hired by Riverlane and will be embedded in a growing product organisation. We are looking for an individual who is excited to work at the cutting-edge of technology with technical users and can continuously adapt to the changing quantum environment. On our journey, we want to include design thinking early on in our process to get the product right.
As our go-to internal design resource, you will be working with product managers, scientists and engineers on shaping the user experience for two of our main products. The first helps quantum hardware developers more quickly build and test ideas for controlling their hardware. The second gives enterprise customers and quantum computing specialists insights into the resource requirements of the quantum computations they are interested in.
Your focus will be on working together with the users and customers as well as our engineers and scientists to find a great design solution for our problems. You will bring generalist design expertise into our product development right from the beginning, focusing on interaction design and UX prototyping. Ideally, you will be a relatively technical individual with some coding experience so you can talk to our engineers well. You will be responsible for the user journey and logic flow and perform user research together with the product manager. You will also be the main contact if we work with external agencies on design and front end.
What you will do
· Drive and own product design (UX/UI and interaction design with some aspects of visual design) across two early Riverlane products
· Introduce design thinking into Riverlane’s product culture, gather product design requirements and work closely with a cross-functional product team to breathe life into our products
· UX/UI development on a product geared towards users from the chemical and pharmaceutical industry
· UX/UI development for a product aimed at quantum hardware developers
· UX prototyping for these two products through wireframing and other techniques
· Analyse and improve product engagement, usability and usage through frequent user testing using data-driven and qualitative techniques
· Iterate on designs with users, customers and internal stakeholders, manage user insight on design
· In the mid-term, there is the opportunity to become the kernel of a larger design and front-end team at Riverlane and transition into a design manager role
What we need
· Degree in Computer Science, Design or Human Computer Interactions or a related subject
· 3 years’ experience in a product design role, ideally focusing on industrial design or interaction design; OR you’ve worked as a (front end) developer and transitioned into a design role with 1 year experience in design
· Strong portfolio in product design projects (please include portfolio in application)
· Ability to innovate and create intuitive, user-friendly products and surfaces in complex environments
· Proven leadership on design projects, bringing design thinking into a technical and product team
· Experience working with cross-functional product teams in an agile environment
· Some experience in qualitative/ quantitative user testing
· Excitement about quantum computing and the opportunity to shape cutting-edge technology and cutting-edge products
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills working across departments and disciplines
· An organised individual who can work across multiple activities, prioritising the most important actions
Even better if…
· You have worked on data visualisation projects
· You have worked as the main contact for design agencies
· You have worked on design projects aimed at programmers or developers
· You know a bit about quantum computing
How to apply
Please upload a CV, portfolio and covering letter here. Your covering letter should explain why you are applying for the job and what skills and experience you can bring to the role. Your portfolio can be uploaded as a PDF or you can give us a link.
If you have any queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Everyone is welcome at Riverlane. We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from eligible and suitably qualified candidates regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender reassignment, religion or belief, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, or pregnancy and maternity/paternity.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.